Vol 2, Issue 9
- Room temperature stable COx-free H2 production from methanol with magnesium oxide nanophotocatalysts
A novel facile strategy was developed to synthesize MgO nanocrystals for producing H2 through photodecomposing methanol.
Nearly ballistic carbon nanotube array transistors are realized with current densities outmatching conventional semiconductors.
- Nanogeochronology of discordant zircon measured by atom probe microscopy of Pb-enriched dislocation loops
Atom probe yields geologically meaningful ages from nanoscale Pb-enriched dislocation loops in discordant zircon.
Metallic super-heavy fermion compounds can be used for adiabatic demagnetization cooling to temperatures well below 0.1 K.
- Atomic-scale compositional mapping reveals Mg-rich amorphous calcium phosphate in human dental enamel
Atomic-scale study of human dental enamel reveals an intergranular amorphous phase thought to be responsible for tooth decay.
KCNE3 modulates the KCNQ1 K+ channel in epithelia by directly stabilizing the voltage-sensor S4 segment in its activated state.
- X-ray laser–induced electron dynamics observed by femtosecond diffraction from nanocrystals of Buckminsterfullerene
Coherent electron dynamics in a periodic array of C60 molecular targets driven by intense x-ray pulses of femtosecond duration.
- Hidden drivers of low-dose pharmaceutical pollutant mixtures revealed by the novel GSA-QHTS screening method
Novel GSA-QHTS screens out drivers of ecological effects from low-dose pharmaceutical mixtures typically missed by current policy.
- Differential roles of AVP and VIP signaling in the postnatal changes of neural networks for coherent circadian rhythms in the SCN
SCN neuronal networks undergo differential and redundant regulations of AVP and VIP during postnatal development in mice.
The binding mode of newly discovered histone demethylase inhibitors could have applications in the design and repurposing of drugs.
Multidisciplinary study reveals the mechanism for second messenger–mediated regulation of a central bacterial cell cycle kinase.
- Consensus and experience trump leadership, suppressing individual personality during social foraging
A variety of mechanisms express and suppress individual behavioral tendencies during group decision-making in fish.
- Giant electromechanical coupling of relaxor ferroelectrics controlled by polar nanoregion vibrations
Polar nanoregion vibrations control the ultrahigh piezoelectric response of relaxor-based ferroelectrics used in applications.
Control of colloidal placement is achieved in nematic cells with photopatterned, spatially modulated molecular orientation.
- Geodetic measurements reveal similarities between post–Last Glacial Maximum and present-day mass loss from the Greenland ice sheet
Present destabilization of marine-based sectors in Greenland may increase sea level for centuries to come.
Computational virtual unwrapping of the En-Gedi scroll reveals it to be the earliest Pentateuchal book ever found in a Holy Ark.
Anomalous signal from sulfur atoms present in most proteins was used for de novo phasing of XFEL data and solving a GPCR structure.
Highly photoconductive crystalline supramolecular rods are obtained by the self-assembly of C60 in a soft-gel scaffold.
Buckling-driven assembly of 3D mesostructures from releasable multilayers offers versatile design options for unique applications.
Researchers present results on the oceanic upper mantle electrical structure revealed by satellite-detected tidal magnetic signals.
- Giant facet-dependent spin-orbit torque and spin Hall conductivity in the triangular antiferromagnet IrMn3
A giant facet-dependent spin Hall conductivity is found in IrMn3 due to its chiral triangular antiferromagnetic structure.
Vibrational signature reveals the structure around, and evolution of, active sites on anatase (101) in real ambient.
A biosynthetic strategy is proposed to fabricate highly dispersed bimetallic electrocatalysts for efficient energy conversion.
Cryo-EM of relaxed myosin filament reveals unique molecular motor conformation and unprecedented details of the filament backbone.
- Depth-resolved mid-infrared photothermal imaging of living cells and organisms with submicrometer spatial resolution
Photothermal measurement enabled infrared spectroscopic imaging of live cells and organisms with submicrometer resolution.